I suppose it is a bit ironic that I finished Sirdal on the last day of winter, but we have had weather cold enough for heavy sweaters in past years. Not long ago, there was an ice storm on April 1. There doesn’t seem much chance of that this year, especially since it is supposed to hit 80° later this week. DH thinks the unusually warm weather is a result of keeping our snow shovels next to the front door since the freak October snowstorm, but I know that the real reason for our ridiculously mild weather is the completion of Sirdal (a WIP for more than two years).
This weekend, Sirdal was finally ready for its blocking, and it gave me a chance to use the wooly board that I had requested as a present some years ago. I never thought Sirdal would be in process for so long, and I was sure that I’d have several stranded sweaters done by now. Well, some things can’t be rushed. In uncharacteristic fashion, I did not think through how to mount the sweater on my wooly board (it is not intuitive, in case you’re wondering). And I managed the adjustments while holding the soggy mass of the soaked sweater, after a frenzied search for the various pieces and a web search for the assembly instructions. But eventually, I figured it all out:
Last night, I sewed on the four cuff buttons, and I had intended to drive off to some scenic place for pictures. But the light this morning was perfect for capturing the sweater, and Ed obligingly took the photos.
Despite the many obstacles and starts and stops, this was one of the most engrossing and interesting projects I’ve ever knitted, and I’m in love with stranded knitting. I’ve detailed the many modifications in past posts: the readjustment of the motifs, the changes in the body size, and my sleeve and cuff woes. I’m really pleased with the way it turned out and its fit. Although I generally like a sweater that is more fitted around the shoulder area, I decided to knit this as a traditional sweater with drop shoulders. I think for this sweater that decision was a good one. The sweater is warm and comfortable.
My main regret is that all the wonderful finishing is hidden from view. So to record it for posterity, here is what the sweater looks like on the inside.
This was intended to be a stash-busting project, and it partially achieved that goal. I had the red Heilo in my stash, purchased in the 1990s for a one-color sweater, and I supplemented it with natural Heilo from Woolybaabaa. But I have enough left over for at least a hat or two, and some mittens. But for now it is on to Fair Isle.