I finished NaKniSweMoDo Sweater #3 over the weekend. I had less trouble working with heavy wool than usual because the last several weeks have been cool and rainy—so rainy that I can’t remember the last full day of sunshine. Ordinarily, I don’t welcome the start of summer, but even I have had enough of the gloom. (According to the weather forecasters, it is already our 7th wettest June on record—and more rain is ahead for most of this week.) Ed is swearing that we won’t see the sun until November, and I have stopped trying to cheer him up. Although cool, it is clammy and damp. Armies of slugs have invaded my garden, and if my tomato plants could talk, they would implore me to move them back inside. My summer vegetables are off to a very slow start.
And despite the coolness, it is not really cold enough to model the sweater. And I’m not about to go tromping around outside in the damp, unmowed grass to find a place where I can take a nice photo. So I’ll take a rain check on the modeling shot and store this sweater for the summer. Here, instead, is my fallback picture on a hanger and ladder:
The sweater is my adaptation of a more traditional Morehouse Farms design. I changed the ribbing at the cuffs, bottom, and neck edge to reverse stockinette, instead of ribbing. I replaced the drop shoulders with fitted sleeves. Also, I shaped the sides a bit, and I added some slits at the side seams. I designed this sweater to wear when working, and it succeeds on that score.
If I had it to do over again, I’d probably make the back neck edge a bit higher, but I used the pattern motif as a guide to start the neck bindoff. The bindoff begins at the end of a check. Because this yarn is thick, I used mattress stitch for the seams instead of crocheting them, and I did feel the sense of inertia that seems to afflict many knitters when faced with finishing. I guess I would have done better to knit in the round until the armholes, and for the sleeves. But what’s done is done.
I used about 9 of the 11 skeins in the kit (it was cheaper to buy the kit than loose skeins), and I have already stored the excess in my box of “Morehouse leftovers”, which is a great place to look for small amounts for presents. The remainder will be used for hats or mittens.
To both the trained and untrained eye, it looks as if I won’t manage 12 sweaters by the end of December. I had hoped to surpass my personal best of a sweater from scratch in two months, and I’m only doing slightly better than that. But the next project (Sweater #4), which I think will be Thora, is moving along nicely. If I could finish it by the end of July, I’d still have a chance at 8, or even 9, sweaters for the year—and I’d be happy with that.