Hurricane Irene did not fulfill the dire forecasts, at least not for me. Although it rained steadily through the night and morning, the winds never picked up sufficiently for the nearby trees to fall—although they did fall across some of our major roads, and there was flooding for lower elevations. I took in the jar I use as a rain gauge to avoid having it blow around, so I’m not sure how much rain we got, but I’m guessing it was around 6 to 8 inches.
By 11 am the sun peeked out, and I was able to check the damage to the garden.
Although there are puddles everywhere, the dry and beautiful weather we’re supposed to get for the rest of the week ought to perk up nearly everything (except my newly emerging spinach, which may need replanting). And by next weekend, I hope to pull the broccoli (back left) and put in my transplants.
Some plants seem as if nothing happened. My beans appeared to enjoy themselves, and there’s enough to pick for another dinner should the leaves dry out today.
The peppers are regrouping for another crop, some of which will join the 37 stuffed peppers now in my freezer.
And I will have more tomatoes.
I don’t know why the vines grew so high this year. Those cages are 6-feet tall.
I should enjoy my first row of carrots soon, but those soaker hoses won’t be put to much use.
It is too wet to take any outdoor knitting pictures, but my shawl, Fiori di Sole, is about half done, and there are assorted UFOs that need attention. Knitting content will return shortly.