Yesterday was not a great day. It started out nicely enough, with brilliant sunshine and modestly warm temperatures. The rain has finally abated enough for me to wash, air dry, and store my winter jackets, and I took advantage of the relatively dry weekend weather to block the back of Thora. Why not, I thought yesterday morning, block the Devonshire jacket on such a great drying day? I had intended to rescue this from UFO purgatory and finish it as one of my NaKniSweMoDo projects. All that was required was finishing the sleeves and doing the seams.
But I blocked the fronts and back separately before, and they were not quite even. So in reblocking, I hoped to make this modest adjustment and see if I couldn’t get the yarn to relax a bit in the horizontal direction. After a bath in Kookaburra Woolwash, I proceeded to block it out—and also block the partial sleeve to verify the sleeve length (which is perfect).
This picture shows my progress. There isn’t much light in room where I lay out my blocking pads, but the gloomy appearance matches my mood.
When I started to pin it out, I saw this, below the right armhole:
I am not at all sure I can fix the hole without
ripping. This is a slip-stitch
pattern, and I don’t think I can manage it as a patch. The ripping doesn’t bother me that
much, but in order to reknit, I have to take the collar off (which took an
evening to get on) and undo the shoulder bindoff. That does bother me.
Luckily, I have lots of spare yarn for this project, so running out
isn’t an issue as it might be on Thora.
And I am really angry at myself for being so casual with some of my
I am not at all sure I can fix the hole without ripping. This is a slip-stitch pattern, and I don’t think I can manage it as a patch. The ripping doesn’t bother me that much, but in order to reknit, I have to take the collar off (which took an evening to get on) and undo the shoulder bindoff. That does bother me. Luckily, I have lots of spare yarn for this project, so running out isn’t an issue as it might be on Thora. And I am really angry at myself for being so casual with some of my yarn.
I spent this morning searching online for moth repellents and those little traps that you can put in closets. I will use the traps to see just how bad the infestation is, but I still think it is confined to my nightly knitting area and not my stash. My stash yarn is all in plastic bags (Hefty zip tops are my plastic bags of choice), which are in plastic boxes with bars of Irish Spring soap. I have found no problems in any of those boxes. But in addition to checking every box again, and probably washing out the boxes and letting them air dry, I will be taking out all my clothes from all the closets, washing down the closets, and putting moth repellent everywhere. Some of this is serious stuff, but I will use it in the spare room where I keep my yarn stash, and not anywhere near the birds or the rest of us. I’ve also ordered lots of lavender Eucalan and Kookaburra Woolwash so I can wash every sweater I own before storing it again. This is not how I planned to spend my summer vacation.
And to top it off, as I pulled out of the driveway on my way to the gym, where I hoped to work out my frustration by heaving heavy chunks of metal, I noticed that I had fewer mums than the day before. This is a “guess what is missing” shot:
The answer is the flowers that formerly were at the top of the stems. The deer discovered my mums much earlier than ever before. I also planted Shasta daisies in a hard-to-plant bed, and they ate off my flowers there too.
The plant is ok, as are the buds, but the pretty daisies that adorned it the day before are probably deer poop by now. Ed replaced our netting around the bed, which seemed to work in past years. When I researched plants that deer don’t like, Shasta daisies are always on the list. As are rhubarb plants, which have toxic leaves. The deer ate those too. They also eat my rhododendrons, another plant on the standard list. I think I need to post in some conspicuous place that list of plants that deer aren’t supposed to eat, so they can see it before chowing down and move on to someone else’s flowers.
Well, all I can say is that these pests have good taste. The moths seem to go directly to my stash of Zara. Now I intend to make them pay with their lives for that choice.