I made major strides toward completing Sweater #1 yesterday and today (when I should have been working). I didn’t feel up to the challenge of the neck edge on Wednesday and Thursday, and so I began the sleeves. But I could see a bottleneck ahead because I need the blocked body to verify my sleeve length. I’m not falling for the mistake I made with Liv—blocking the sleeves and then finding out they are too long. I need to measure my gauge again on something big, and the blocked sweater body fills the bill.
So tired or not, it was time to finish the front neck edge. I also ripped out the back neck edge, which was done, so I could make it higher. I changed the pattern so that there would be neck and shoulder shaping—there is none in the original—but my first guess on where the back should end wasn’t quite right. And then I used a three-needle bind-off to attach the shoulders. By 11:30 on Friday, my sweater looked like this.
And it looked great when I tried it on.
The neck edge is supposed to have two rows of purl, as a kind of reverse garter stitch, mirroring the bottom edge. But the bottom edge is fluted because of the pattern, and I didn’t want the neck edge to ripple.
The neck edging must be tighter.
The neck edge is supposed to be knit on smaller needles, and I had been using U.S. 2s for the bottom edges of the body and sleeves. But when I started to pick up the neck edge in size 2, I ran into problems. First, I picked up the stitches on a 32-inch circular needle, only to realize that it would be too big for the task. KnitPicks doesn’t have a 16” Harmony circular in size 2, so I looked for one I owned and started using it. The cable was awful (the Harmony circular cables have spoiled me), and the neck edge didn’t look right. Because the cable was so inflexible, I began to knit too loosely. So I tried a third time with U.S. 1s on Harmony DPNs, doing the bind-off in size 3’s to be sure it didn’t pull. This was a bit fiddly because I needed all six of the KnitPicks needles for the neck, but it worked like a charm:
This, by the way, is the closest I’ve managed to come to the rich ruby color of the yarn.
Complicating things even further was Addi. She decided to explore this morning, and while I had stitches falling off my DPNs, she began to crawl on my legs, examine the underside of my wooden kitchen table, and poke around in my layer cake pans.
And I used to think it was a pain to knit with cats around.