This week represents a knitting milestone. I never finished two projects in a week before, even in the marathon knitting I did some years ago between October and mid-December to knit my son’s five grade-school teachers Christmas presents. Although I could easily get used to the high of so much progress, it is back to sweaters for the time being.
I’m pleased with these gift mittens, though. I may do the kind of multiple knitting that Tiennie does so well later this year and make these for this year’s Christmas presents. I may vary the pattern a bit, or even seek out something slightly fancier, but I can easily knit these in a week. If I get skillful, I might even go faster.
One thing that turned out to be very handy were the 4-inch DPNs that I had gotten some time ago. These are Suzanne rosewood, purchased from Patternworks. In fact, the thumb was so much fun that I may try gloves. [This photo was taken at night, under fluorescent light. The mitten color is more accurate.]
I needed just over one skein of KnitPicks Elegance, color lilac, for the mittens (women’s medium). I modified the basic mitten pattern in Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns after reading that some knitters found the thumb too tight. I substituted the thumb for the next size, picking up additional stitches between the picked up stitches and the one cast-on stitch on the next row. This had the added benefit of leaving a very small hole, which I tightened by weaving in the strand of yarn left from picking up the thumb stitches. Even though the yarn band on Elegance suggests U.S. 5 needles, I used 3 mm to get a tight fabric. I think this worked out well for me and the yarn.
I discovered that I could cop out on the challenge of fixing Devonshire’s sleeves tonight. I also have the collar to knit, and it is an ordinary rectangle. But I need to solve sleeve problems this weekend, or I’ll be staring at the Tube next week with nothing to knit—and we can’t have that.