I made good progress on Liv over the last couple of days, and the front and back are completely done.
I don’t know what it is with Ed and sleeves, but whenever I show him something on a partially finished sweater that needs only sleeves for completion, he focuses on what isn’t there instead of what is. When I knitted a baby sweater some years in the past from a really nice Morehouse Farms kit, I had to work on one sleeve at a time because the sleeve is picked up from the armhole and worked down to the wrist. The morning after I completed one of the sleeves, he looked at my work and said what it pity it was that the baby had only one arm. My fine work on Liv’s neck also eluded him—he just asked me if it was going to have sleeves.
But undaunted, I’ll show you what I really think is a nicely designed neck. In order to finish the neck, the pattern requires that you take the three stitches that compose the front ribs, add one more stitch on the neck edge (to be used to attach the neck border to the sweater body), and knit half the distance along the back neck. Then you attach the fronts to the back. This is what the sweater looks like after doing this.
And here is a closeup of the neck border and the shoulder seam (closed using a three-needle bindoff).
That was Tuesday’s work. Last night, I attached the border to the back of the neck. The pattern says to bind off the two strips and sew them together, but I grafted them instead. I still have ends to weave in, but I think this is a thinner join than the one implied by the instructions.
I decided to crochet the neck border to the neck edge because it required easing in, and I find it very easy to ease along a seam when I crochet. Also, it makes a very finished looking join on the inside:
This yarn is very stretchy, and the crocheted seam will also give the neck some stability. I haven’t woven in the ends because I want to wet block all the pieces. I steamed the neck only lightly to be sure that the attachment of the border didn’t pull—and it doesn’t. When I wet block, I’ll do a better job of shaping the neck and flattening the seam.
I also cast on for the sleeves and did the bottom garter stitch border. I’m working both sleeves at once because I find it very hard to remember where I increase on sleeves that are knit only in stockinette. Once I’m done with the repeat of the cable at the cuffs, the sleeves will go very fast. And so I can already imagine wearing this—and a new FO is within reach.